FALL COLORS AND ELK RUT PHOTO WORKSHOP
Rocky Mountain National Park is one of the most popular national parks in the U.S. Join professional and award-winning nature photographers, Dawn Wilson and Krisztina Scheeff, to photograph beautiful landscapes and amazing wildlife in this pristine destination during the peak of fall color and elk rut seasons.
DATES: September 16-19, 2021
LOCATION: Estes Park, Colorado
RATE: $1195 per person; $350 deposit due at registration (balance due 45 days prior to workshop start)
GROUP SIZE: max of 6
This photo workshop will include landscape photography and some walking. The high elevation of the park should be considered for those with any health concerns as we will be traveling to elevations above 12,000 feet. The workshop is ideal for beginner to intermediate photographers.
- We will start at sunrise to photograph one of the best sunrise locations in the park, Bear Lake.
- From our sunrise spot we will travel to a mountain meadow to look for elk to capture their annual fall rut activities.
- From the meadow, we will travel up to Trail Ridge Road to look for wildlife such as pika, marmots, elk and bighorn sheep.
- We will head back to Estes Park for lunch and some downtime.
- For sunset we will head back up Trail Ridge Road for silhouettes of wildlife and/or views of the western mountains.
- We will begin the day in a mountain meadow to photograph more elk activity.
- From the meadow, we will drive up a dirt back road to photograph a waterfall and then continue up to Trail Ridge Road to look for wildlife.
- We will continue the morning heading into Kawaneechee Valley to look for wildlife and then have lunch in Grand Lake.
- The afternoon will be spent traveling back through Kawaneechee Valley and up Trail Ridge Road looking for wildlife before wrapping up the day at a mountain meadow for more elk activity.
- We will photograph sunrise in a mountain meadow lined with colorful aspen trees and then look for more elk.
- We will head back to the hotel in time for check out.
- The workshop will wrap up with a lunch in Estes Park to review the previous few days and answer any questions.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- guide service
- photography instruction
- transportation to photo locations
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- all meals; we will eat together as a group
- transportation to and from Estes Park
- hotel accommodations; I have recommendations in Estes Park
- Remember to bring hat, gloves and warm jacket. It can get cold at 12,000 feet, especially in the mornings and evenings.
- Bring lots of water and snacks each day to keep you hydrated in the dry climate and high altitude.
- Fly into Denver, rent a car and drive to Estes Park (approximately 90 minutes). There are two shuttle services to Estes Park as well: Estes Park Shuttle and Bustang.
- Please review all general workshop information, including cancellation policy, prior to booking.
ABOUT DAWN WILSON
Dawn Wilson is an award-winning and professional nature photographer who specializes in telling the stories of wildlife at high latitudes and high altitudes of the Rocky Mountains and Alaska. Recognized for her photographic work in Nature's Best Photography as well as a finalist in the renowned Wildlife Photograph of the Year competition, Dawn's text and photography have appeared in regional and national publications, including Outdoor Photographer, Colorado Life, Wyoming Wildlife, Wild Planet Photo Magazine, and many more. As a Master Naturalist, Dawn brings a passion for the outdoors and a deep interest in the animals of Rocky Mountain National Park to show her clients how understanding animal behavior will help improve their photos. Dawn is a year-round resident of Estes Park, base camp for Rocky Mountain National Park, and visits the park frequently, giving her an intimate knowledge of the best locations for wildlife and scenery in and around the park.
ABOUT KRISZTINA SCHEEFF
Growing up in Hungary as a young teenager, Krisztina spent her summers hiking, camping and learning about nature, wildlife and conservation. After completing a college degree in Animal Science & Agricultural Engineering from the University of Godollo in Hungary, she continued her studies at Purdue University. During her graduate school years, she worked as a Teaching Assistant in the Biology Department at Purdue. Krisztina moved to southern California, where she continued to enjoy and photograph the local wildlife and the natural beauty of her favorite spot, Lake Hodges in San Diego County. An avid photo tour leader, Krisztina takes clients to her local photos spots in San Diego County, as well as Scotland, Ireland, Costa Rica and other parts of the US.
And be sure to check out my other workshops. New ones continue to be added.