Narwhal and Polar Bears of Baffin Island
Don't just make photos, make lasting memories!
DATE: May 28—June 3, 2020
RATE: $22,240 CAD (approximately $17,792 USD)
Join me and Arctic Kingdom along the floe edge of Baffin Island to witness and photograph narwhals, polar bears and other iconic arctic animals.
Revel in the wonder of the floe edge, where the sea ice meets open water, and marine mammals and other wildlife congregate at the floe edge, also known as the "line of life."
Stimulate your senses in one of the most spectacular places on earth, the floe edge of Baffin Island in Lancaster Sound, Nunavut along the northern edges of Canada.
- Take in stunning aerial views of dramatic landscapes and icebergs of the high arctic and Sirmilik National Park on the private flight to the premium safari camp.
- Enjoy an exclusive stay with the only tour operator offering a floe edge program in Navy Board Inlet, Nunavut.
- Camp is located far from communities and other tour groups, giving us exclusive opportunities with wildlife of the north.
- Arctic Kingdom operates a unique experience on the floe edge — no wasted time on snowmobiles to access camp or the floe edge.
- Daily lecture series with programming by expert trip leaders, naturalists, scientists and film makers.
- Enjoy mouth-watering appetizers and gourmet meals prepared by an executive chef and culinary team.
DAY 1: Commercial flight from Ottawa to Iqaluit by jet (approximately 3 1/2 hours). Change to turboprop and fly to Pond Inlet (approximately 3 1/2 hours). Upon landing in Pond Inlet, we will meet our Arctic Kingdom representative and then head off on our private flight (approximately one hour) to camp. Settle into camp and enjoy a hot gourmet dinner with the group. If conditions allow, travel to the floe edge for the first night of adventure.
DAYS 2-5: Head out each day in small groups to the floe edge, traveling by snowmobile and qamutik (traditional Inuit sled). Flexible departure times allow a more personalized schedule, where daily activities are designed based on your interests. One of the greatest highlights for many guests on this safari is the opportunity to observe a variety of Arctic wildlife in their natural habitat, including narwhal, beluga, bowhead whales, seals and polar bears. Migratory birds are also in abundance. Ice conditions permitting, you may also visit the Bylot Island Migratory Bird Sanctuary, where more than 200,000 birds choose to nest each year. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
DAY 6: Enjoy your final day in the High Arctic wilderness before flying directly out of camp to Pond Inlet. Explore the town at your leisure and spend your final night in a hotel. This evening we will enjoy an Inuit cultural presentation. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
DAY 7: Have breakfast and then head out to Pond Inlet Airport to board commercial flights back to Ottawa.
GROUP SIZE: 8—16 people (camp capacity: 32)
INSURANCE: Due to the nature and remoteness of this trip, trip cancellation/interruption insurance is highly recommended. To join this expedition, you must be insured against medical and personal accident risks and have search and rescue coverage. (https://ss.globalrescue.com/partner/arctickingdom)
CANCELLATION POLICY FOR ARCTIC KINGDOM: All requests for cancellations must be received in writing. Cancellations received up to 180 days prior to departure are refunded less an administrative fee of CAD $1,000 per person. If cancellation is received between 179 and 120 days prior to departure, the deposit is forfeited. For cancellations received between 119 days and the departure date, all payments are forfeited.
Full terms and conditions for Arctic Kingdom.
- All meals at camp, including six breakfasts, six lunches and snacks, six dinners; hot drinks and snacks available 24/7.
- Round-trip flights from Ottawa to Pond Inlet, and charter flight to camp.
- Accommodations: five nights in premium safari camp, one night in a hotel in Pond Inlet
- Services of Arctic Kingdom Expedition leaders and Inuit guides
- Use of kayaks and dry suit, mask, fins, hood and gloves for snorkeling
- Return transfers in Pond Inlet
- Guided interpretive hikes.
- Flight to/from Ottawa, Canada from home.
- Accommodation and meals in Ottawa.
- Tips, gratuities and personal expenses.
- Travel, medical, trip cancellation/interruption and evacuation insurance.
- Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit or Ottawa.
- Single supplement 180% of trip fee (fee waived if you request to room with another single traveller)
- Polar clothing rental package strongly encouraged.
- Deposit of $2,500 CAD due upon booking. Full payment due 120 days prior to departure date.
To reserve your spot on this trip of a lifetime, email Dawn Wilson.
Check out more info from Arctic Kingdom.
And be sure to check out my other workshops. New ones continue to be added.